1. Travel
Kristen de Joseph

No More Tourists at Amsterdam Coffeeshops?

By June 2, 2011

Update (12-2011): While the proposal to introduce a Dutch-only "weed pass" is still on the table, Dutch coffeeshops across the country - except in the three southern provinces of Zeeland, Brabant and Limburg - are still open to tourists. Find out about the status of the "weed pass" on Amsterdam Travel.

The Dutch cabinet has recently made a controversial decision about the status of cannabis coffeeshops in the Netherlands. As of late 2011-2012, coffeeshops will become "members-only" establishments; what's more, membership will be restricted to Dutch residents, which will effectively put an end to cannabis tourism in the Netherlands.

While the measure will ease the troubles of Dutch border towns -- where cannabis smokers from border countries often come over for a joint and some hijinks and then leave -- I believe that Amsterdam tourism will suffer as a consequence. As I write in my article on Amsterdam's top three coffeeshops, "Nearly half a million Amsterdam tourists set foot in a coffeeshop each year, and 10% of all tourists cite it as a motivation for their trip." While it's not essential to the enjoyment of Amsterdam, these open-door coffeeshops are a unique feature of Amsterdam that countless tourists and locals appreciate.

What do you think about these new measures? Would you rather visit an Amsterdam where coffeeshops aren't so prominent, or is that part of the attraction for you?

Amsterdam Cannabis Culture

Comments
June 3, 2011 at 7:32 am
(1) Sam says:

I love amsterdam because it is a place where human freedom is appreciated. I visit amsterdam at least twice a year (even though the plane ticket costs around 600$ for me, but the fact that you can legally buy and consume cannabis is the prime reason why I feel so comfortable there and why I always make it a point to drop by when I’m in europe. There is something there for everyone. It will be a really sad day when the new law is in effect. Amsterdam will never be the same again.

June 6, 2011 at 11:54 pm
(2) Charles says:

The sole reason for a trip to Amsterdam is to visit the coffeeshops and seed stores. What about the Cannabis Cup? Losing tradition in the name of foolish changes because some leaders on the Continent cannot effectively separate the soft and hard drug markets (with the exception o the Iberian peninsula). Going to hurt the Dutch economy in a mug larger way than the Conservatives could possibly imagine. Cannabem Liberemus!!!

June 7, 2011 at 7:46 am
(3) Carl Yearsley says:

I know a lot of people who visit Amsterdam on a regular basis, myself included, it is a beautiful place to spend some time but we ALL go for one reason, the Coffeshops !

Fast forward a year or two, when the Tourists have all gone,
( the Red light area is going down too ) and I bet `The Dam ` will be empty and half boarded up like the Old Seaside towns of England. Such a sad loss.

Hope they have a change of heart because I for one won`t be going again just glad I went when I did.

June 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(4) Christopher Martin says:

My friends and I head over to The Dam at least four times a year from the UK to chill out. We smoke some quality weed, look at some amazing art in Amsterdam’s galleries, do a bit of shopping and head back to the grey old land of the Daily Mail, Rupert Murdoch and David Cameron hoping that it won’t be long until our next visit. However, if this law goes through my friends and I will be spending our substantial tourist euros in Spain and Portugal from now on. Such a sad end to Amsterdam’s Second Golden Age.

June 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm
(5) goamsterdam says:

Thanks everyone for your comments. But don’t forsake Amsterdam just yet — there’s still hope for coffeeshops to retain their open-door policy, as this Radio Netherlands Worldwide article reports:

“The cabinet decision … is pending while the Council of State, the country’s highest judicial body, is mulling over a conflict between the city of Maastricht and a coffee shop owner who continues to welcome foreigners. The verdict is expected in early July, and it could lead to a revision of the new laws.”

Perhaps by then the Netherlands — or at least the city of Amsterdam — will find a way to preserve this liberty for the many people who enjoy it.

June 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(6) Amber says:

Iv never been to Amsterdam but Im hoping to go in october, is there a date when you know there going to this? My boyfriend and I were planning to go for his 18th as we wanted to experience it and Im sorry if this offends people but the best experience of Amsterdam is the coffee shops! I will not waste my time and money on going if they wont let tourists enjoy this experience. Ill have to find somewere else to go!

June 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(7) goamsterdam says:

Amber, even if the new laws are finalized, Amsterdam’s coffeeshops will remain open to tourists until sometime in 2012.

June 11, 2011 at 11:08 am
(8) Alan Snetman says:

This is a VERY sad day indeed! Although I have only been to Amsterdam once, which was this past May, my wife and I along with our adult children made a promise to return every year as a family event. This new law will force us to make other plans, and we don’t want to make other plans. WE WANT AMSTERDAM TO REMAIN AS IS!!!!!! The LawMakers must be drinking vodka…..Have they lost their minds?

June 12, 2011 at 6:45 am
(9) Joseph says:

I travel often to Amsterdam because of Thaiboxing events,
I Love Amsterdam because it’s a beautiful city with friendly people.
I allways enjoy to visit also coffeeshops and smoke a Joint of best quality cannabis. The ambiance is unique in Amsterdam. I can not imagine Amsterdam without Coffeshops. I’m not a cannabis tourist

June 14, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(10) Casper says:

Amsterdam was one of the few places in the world, where tourists could come enjoy a joint of marijuana, without having to be criminals, without having to get in contact with hardened criminals, and without having to deal with discrimination, either from the police or other moral authorities.

I seldom spend less than 3,000 Euros during a two weeks in Amsterdam, which is usually what I go for each year. For me, it is money well spent, on a sanity break, and I bet that money doesnīt exactly hurt the Dutch economy.

My prediction for the future, is that the members only coffeeshops will have lots of trouble keeping their doors open, due to extremely competitive illegal cannabis. By placing restrictions, the government is increasing the profits for street sales and illegal sales tenfold, because the tourists that still come to Amsterdam, will be buying illegal pot.

Prohibiting something, will not make it go away, it only makes it more profitable for the criminals. So, in the future, instead of that creepy dude walking past you saying “X, X, coca, coca”, several more dudes will be out there in the streets like “hey, x, coca, mary jane, hash”.

Itīs a shame, because I loved visiting the Netherlands due to their relaxed atmosphere, and not having to worry about my eyes being slightly red in public was pretty damn nice. I suppose Iīll be going to Portugal from now on.

Itīs a shame, because I even considered moving to Amsterdam and setting up a business there.

June 16, 2011 at 3:35 am
(11) Liz says:

The coming restrictions are not just from the Dutch government; it is the EU mafia. They want to forbid cannabis altogether. It’ll never work. Don’t worry. Look at what happened with the Prohibition in the US.

June 17, 2011 at 1:51 am
(12) Victoria says:

Amsterdam is a wonderful melting pot of people and cultures from all over the world, and we visit it regularly for our “fix”: a cosmopolitan feeling of freedom.
So, while we don’t visit the coffeeshops, we enjoy how liberal the Dutch government is (or was?!?). Not to mention sensible – far better to control something that’s legal, than trying to figure out what’s happening illegally.

June 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm
(13) Georgio says:

Well, they just lost a few tourists right here. My friends and I like to visit often to enjoy a little bit of freedom. Now, not so much. Thanks for ruining a great trip Netherlands. I hope you enjoy the economic downturn due to your government’s shortsightedness.

July 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm
(14) Kristen says:

I actually live in Amsterdam. Im not of Dutch decent. I have never ever experienced problems with the tourists (also having been one myself at one point) that choose to go to coffeeshops. If anything, it is a happy, relaxed and nice atmosphere in many of the coffeeshops. The only problems I see are with the people that choose to have too much alcohol.

I for one will not be registering my details to get a cannabis pass, you never know who gets this information and what damage it could do to your credibility i.e getting a job in the future. I will just grow my own (4-5 plants are allowed here).

I can safely say that the drug crime on the streets will go up, and lets face it, drug dealers just dont offer cannabis to their customers, so how many smokers will be tempted into trying something new?

The current Dutch government is a mess, and I think they will be shooting themselves in the foot if they do this. Who will end up having to cover the losses the cannabis industry draws into this country? The Dutch residents. Well done to the muppets that voted this government in.

July 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm
(15) NaStyPet says:

@goamsterdam

So what about now ? Are we going to haev our Cannabis Cup this year ?

July 21, 2011 at 6:02 am
(16) goamsterdam says:

The Cannabis Cup still appears to be on for November 20-24, 2011. And frankly, because of the outcry by the Amsterdam Tourism Board and other businesses that will be hurt, I think the decision will be reversed — at least in Amsterdam — before the new measures take effect.

July 25, 2011 at 7:10 am
(17) LOVEDAMIRISH says:

Dont understand why they’ve come up with this law, certainly in this day and age of recessions and economies collapsing, with what I believe is a 1/3 of hollands tax income comes from the coffeeshop industry…..hopefully they’ll come to there sence’s once they see what effect it has, sooner rather than later

August 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm
(18) Norma says:

I just booked a trip to Amsterdam in December and just stumbled upon this horrible news!!!! I was there about 13 years ago and absolutely loved it there but of course the best thing about the trip was all my visits to the coffee shops. I will be completely heart broken if I can’t enjoy coffee shop hopping!!!

August 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm
(19) Edl says:

Since the government change it was inevitable I guess. However it’s just going to create a bigger problem if it goes underground and then the fun will really start. Disappointing really, I did enjoy the liberating feeling of going to a coffeeshop and enjoying smoking freedom!!! It’s just a shame!

August 17, 2011 at 1:11 am
(20) Devildiablo says:

Why not make everybody including tourists become a member and then if they cause trouble revoke their membership for life. Me personally when I to to Amsterdam I always respect the locals and behave in the proper manner.I spend my money in a hotel, coffeshops and other shops and they I go back home after a great trip.

I have been to Amsterdam many times and think its a wonderful place, I can understand wanting to keep trouble makers out but it would be a shame to be banned from the coffeeshops as its a major part of the journey.

August 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm
(21) Katie says:

I think this will ruin tourism in amsterdam, the main reason anybody goes there is to legally buy and consume cannibis. I think it will increase the amount of street dealers aswel causing crime rates to rocket. I have been to amsterdam twice this year , im heading over on saturday so this will be my third time. I dont think i will go back to amsterdam if it made into a member only thing , because lets be honest most tourists/travellers/backpackers head to amsterdam for the novelty of leaglly smoking weed in a cafe. it will be a real shame to see this happen.

October 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(22) sam says:

My wife and i have been going to Amsterdamdam for the last 15yrs,and have passed many a quiet night having a joint in one or another of the local coffee shops.
We pay good money at the hotels we stay in,we pay good money for the flights we take,we spend good money on the food we eat, the beer we drink, the sights we see.
We pay good money for the gifts we always bring home,(YOU CAN SEE WHERE Im GOING WITH THIS) .
Ban tourists like us from smoking a joint and you lose all that go’s with it.
We will never return to Amsterdam once the ban go’s through, imagin going on holiday and not being alowed to eat a BigMac but you could watch the locals eat one (there’s a word for that)can you guess what it is?

October 19, 2011 at 9:00 am
(23) jordan fuller says:

i think this new law is rediculas people come to amstadam to have a good time and smoke cannabis freely without the police on there backs in there countreys amstadam will lose out if they stop tourests from entering coffee shops they are the main attraction in amastadam and its a very unique thing to most people who smoke. all im saying is please dont ban tourests from coffee shops !!!

October 25, 2011 at 4:53 am
(24) jeu says:

without weed and prostitution, there’s no amsterdam for me …

November 15, 2011 at 9:00 pm
(25) Tim says:

I was planning to go to Amsterdam for three months. I have not been able to go because of my job. I have saved for two years to due so. But I guess that is not happening know I hope this law changes until then I will save that money and go when they come to there senses. I just don’t want miss out on the freedom of not worrying about the cops and feeling like a criminal.

November 16, 2011 at 12:06 pm
(26) Jamie says:

These idiots in government obviously have no idea whatsoever what they’re doing.I’ve lived in Holland for 17 years now and it is my opinion that the whole coffeeshop(cannabis) culture here is what prevents mindless violence on the streets every weekend(such as you see in Ireland and England).
I also believe that this law will completely destroy the country’s tourist industry.You say about 10% of tourists that were asked stated that they come here for the coffeeshops-I believe it to be a far higher percentage than that.
Many of the worlds leaders and ex-leaders are now discussing the fact that anti drug laws do not work(and discussing legalisation of cannabis) and now the dutch decide to go in the other direction.
Coffeeshops generate enormous amounts of revenue for this country both directly and indirectly.
This law is the beginning of the end for Holland in my opinion.
Time to leave what was once such a lovely country to live in.

December 20, 2011 at 11:18 am
(27) Peter Lunk says:

We are organising a BIG 420! Smokeout by Amsterdam loving tourists and herb loving hollanders taking maybe the last chance to 420! all the way in Amsterdam.

“A Protest against the DISCRIMINATING WIETPAS rules that will only allow Dutch/Netherlands Citisens to enter and buy cannabis in dutch coffeeshops”

Official MAIN INFORMATION PAGE @

Main discussion GROUP:

JOIN this EVENT PAGE:
Join and hit the send invites button at the top right !

TRAVELLER HOOKUP BUS GROUP:

DONATIONS to fund promotions and organisational funds:

Organiser: Peter Lunk a.k.a. MrLunk

December 24, 2011 at 1:50 am
(28) High Munkey says:

I live in the U.S. and I visit Amsterdam two or three times a year just for the great bud. I have done this for 16 years now, but I guess that’s all over now. I hope that the Netherlands has a back up plan for all the taxes that are going to loose. Everyone in the EU is hurting right now and I don’t know why they want to suffer more. I hope it doesn’t last long!!

December 29, 2011 at 6:09 pm
(29) scotlandsmoker says:

been several times, motivated purely by the fact you CAN smoke. without coffeshops, i wont be back. if scenery and culture are the only things on offer, theres hundreds of places id rather visit in europe alone. Tourism will be badly affected in my opinion.

December 30, 2011 at 4:34 am
(30) xw says:

Holland is in a economy crisis if the new law ever gets officially passed it will be over turned. Look at the city of massistrat or however u spell it it was selling to “only” dutch residents or a foreign person renting or owning a place but still continued to sell to tourists anyway AND as of may 2011 sells to tourists again. wow that seems to last long NOT!! No violent acts are connected with smoking the herb just alcohol where they have to break up brawls all the time i dont get it the whole thing is getting on my nerves!

January 3, 2012 at 6:31 am
(31) Toine says:

I’m sorry to say this but all the above reactions are so typically sad to read… Statements like ‘without weed and prostitution, there’s no amsterdam for me‘ are EXACTLY the reasons why the actual Dutch want to bring down the drugs- and sextourism in Amsterdam.
If everyone is so keen on smoking weed freely, try a bit harder in your own country to legalize it instead of ruining it in the only country where we worked hard on legalizing it!

January 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm
(32) eslyter says:

I lived in Amsterdam back in 2008 for half a year and enjoyed the coffeeshops in the city. They were far safer places than, say, the red light district at night.. This action is the result of the stupid ultra conservatives that have somehow dominated in politics. Everyone can be bought and sold these days.

January 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(33) Giancarlo says:

Goamsterdam, ive been goin to amsterdam 2 or 3 times a year since i have been legally allowed to enter coffeeshops, 2005 was my first time, i spent everything i had and was just happy i didnt have to meet some dodgy guy to buy questionable product.

Before everytime id book a holiday in amsterdam i would inevitably be told by somebody that the laws had changed, but every time i ignored and booked anyway. I am shocked to find that there is truth in the matter this time around, surely this is economical suicide.

If this is true, do i still have time to visit the coffee shops??

January 16, 2012 at 7:59 am
(34) goamsterdam says:

Giancarlo, as of this point Amsterdam coffeeshops are still open to tourists, and will be until 2013 even if the proposal becomes law; you can read the latest information about the Dutch “weed pass” here on this site.

January 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm
(35) cookie says:

We are travelling this Weekend to Amsterdam. So it is still possible to Enter Coffee shops To purchase Coffee and their special Cakes ?

January 21, 2012 at 10:37 am
(36) goamsterdam says:

Yes, at this point it is still possible!

January 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm
(37) richard says:

I HOPE SO I AM GOING ON MY OWN ON SUNDAY!! :( BUT IT JUST CANT BE TRUE IT CANT

January 21, 2012 at 10:38 am
(38) goamsterdam says:

Even if the “weed pass” is approved, Amsterdam coffeeshops will still be open to non-Dutch residents until 2013.

February 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm
(39) john says:

Amsterdam without coffeshops! Then i think i rather travel to Barcelona or London!

February 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm
(40) Savannah says:

Personally, I’ve always wanted to go to Amsterdam because of the overwhelming freedom of everyone. I have respected Amsterdam for this purpose and I probably will not visit Amsterdam because of this law. To me, Amsterdam and marijuana go hand in hand, so taking that away for tourists is a BIG mistake.

February 26, 2012 at 9:26 pm
(41) kim says:

I love amsterdam and i love the weed. But
me and my freinds love the place to. Its not jus about the.coffee shops but thats the main reason we go . . . . We wer thinking about booking to go back in june 2012 but will it be banned for us to by weed. If it is then we wouldbt go. . . Can any 1 help before we book?

February 29, 2012 at 5:42 pm
(42) uk grower says:

@goamsterdam booking for 18-24 hope its still ok to legally smoke bud.to be honest i cultivate lovely bud but you wont have that same buzz you get from being in a coffee shop WHAT A SHAME…..

March 8, 2012 at 9:26 am
(43) fishlips says:

im travelling to amsterdam while in belgium this july. will the ban be applied by then. would be great to experience before it is.

March 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(44) Geordie Paul says:

I used to visit Amsterdam at least twice per year with my partner (that is before we had kids and actually had free time and money for such things) and the reason was cannabis driven. As much as I love the place, if smoking is banned then I won’t be going back. I love the freedom and the atmosphere of the place and it’s a great shame to see a backwards step like this being taken.

March 15, 2012 at 4:57 am
(45) kanza says:

hey i hope this is not happningggg !!!! omghh i been saying to go yo amsterdam for a years i cnt save much becausr im in boarding school but i try to work in the summer i been saving for 2 year know and this was gonna be my last years ! im planingg to go to AMSTERDAM on jully 2013 that when i will be 18 but does this mean all my hard work and effort and my BIGGEST dream just gone away i better have someone kill me then take away my dream of going to amsterdammm plzz tell me this is not true ;(((((( btw all i care about amsterdam is the coffeshop no other BS ;((

March 16, 2012 at 3:37 am
(46) anonymousse says:

apparently the law may be in effect by then, but its still got to be passed, i imagine their testing what effect it may have in the long term before anything country wide happens. their is still hope kanza

March 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(47) Ninjohn says:

I hope the law doesn’t pass, it’s like telling me you can’t breathe. Amsterdam is a huge tourists attraction, to take that away is like telling me lets head to the beach but…. there’s no sea. You see we’re planning a eurotrip tthis fall that consists with Oktoberfest, maybe sight seeing some castles, and AMSTERDAM. We would like to see amsterdam because this would be my first time ever seeing a new country and i would like to see the whole ten yards. Could anyone please tell me if this would ruin my trip this year?

March 22, 2012 at 9:02 am
(48) dean says:

I travel to Amsterdam 2-3 times a year with my girlfriend and friends, among other countrys, The main reason i travel there is because of coffeshops and variety of cannabis, The same quality is available in Ireland but not variety. But thats not the only thing we do there, that was the reason we went first, Amsterdam is a lovely city and very similar to dublin in many ways so has that homely feel to it, locals are lovely and welcoming.

Would i go back if coffeshops were not available? NO, simply because of cost, hotels, hostels, apartments are not cheap but because of cannabis law alot of people dont mind paying. Our usual trip for 2 for 4 nights usually costs around 2000euro. If weed wasnt legal id go to sun instead for 2weeks.

March 23, 2012 at 8:18 am
(49) Lance says:

Say good-bye to tourism

April 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(50) Kev Gallagher says:

Aarrrggghhhhh they’ve got to change the law and turn it back to how it was. The Dutch are going to loose tens on millions due to this stupid law.
It’s going to escalate the crime with dodgy sellers and tourists getting ripped off. What’s the world coming too. Sod it I’m going to roll one mmmmmm

April 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm
(51) matt says:

the law is already taking place :( starting from 1 may all the shops in the south of netherlands will have to start changing to club status and register their members 2000 limit for 1 shop which is not alot and you have to live in the netherlands of course to get membership more info here : http://www.new-rules.eu

April 27, 2012 at 6:18 am
(52) Andy Young says:

I have recently returned from amsterdam where I went round loads of the coffee shops. It was the main motivation of everyone in my hostel to sample the different wares available.

If tourists are banned from coffee shops it will not just be the coffee shops that go out of business but also the hostels and hotels that support the whole cannabis tourist business. It will drive the trade underground and the quality of the product will drop and the price will go up.

May 2, 2012 at 1:17 am
(53) brittany says:

Me and my boyfriend wanted to go Dec or Jan of 2012-13. Did the new law pass or is it still being decided on. This is so bs, I’ve wanted to go for years now n finally will be of age. They are going to be losing so many tourists. Wanted to cheech n chong it up over there..

May 4, 2012 at 7:20 am
(54) shane says:

ive always wanted to go to amsterdam, i don’t think they should stop selling it to tourist.

May 8, 2012 at 9:01 am
(55) Aaron Ratcliffe says:

I went to visit Amsterdam for the last new years eve and to walk along the street seeing the coffee shops open from door to door to the public was an ecstatic feeling! To stop one of the the only places in the world to do what they do best is a complete shambles! Neither me or my family will be visiting if it is made a members only city! same applies to a lot of my friends.. It really is a shame for it to be happening so soon, good luck the Dutch economy! (Y)

May 11, 2012 at 11:51 am
(56) Darren says:

They say it is due to problems with Belgium and German citizens coming into the country or the day, which is understandable. BUT…i believe it should be just allowed in Amsterdam then. Ban it in the rest of the country…tbh i wouldnt give a f***. i have been to Amsterdam many a times and i would never go there again if this stupid rule does happen!!

May 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm
(57) earlobe says:

I think alot of it also has to do with the american soldiers stationed in europe travelling to amsterdam and getting busted with it. but i too think it is completely retarded that theyre making it illegal. first i heard it was supposed to happen jan 1 2012 but i went after that and the guys at the bulldog said no that was in alot of other parts in holland but it doesnt take effect in amsterdam until may 1st 2012. anyone know if it went into effect yet?

May 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm
(58) ed says:

if this law stays in affect,the colapse.boycot this place. treat it like the plauge.no tourists will go were they are not welcome…thats the message this law sends..

May 18, 2012 at 9:26 am
(59) Andrea says:

Just returned from Netherlands. Amsterdam is business as usual, all coffeeshops open. Maastrich is shut down! Not one coffeeshop open. They closed in solidarity to insane law.

So enjoy Amsterdam!!

May 20, 2012 at 11:18 am
(60) SOMCHAI DEANGNOI says:

FRIST OF ALL I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO AMSTERDAM,I ONLY SEEN AMSTERDAM ON POSTCARD,BOOKS AND INTERNET.BUT I’AM SURE THAT AMSTERDAM IS BEAUTIFUL PLACE.HOWEVER FOR THE GOVERNMENT/S OF THE NETHERLANDS TO DESTROY A LONG HISTORY OF (LIBERTY) AND (FREE),SOMETHING THAT THEY CAN TAKE PRIDE OF.BUT IF THE (LAW) DO COME INTO PLAY,THEY WOULD BE GOING BACKWARD.CAN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE NETHERLANDS COME-UP WITH A BETTER IDEA..i.e-BUILD A NEW COMPLEX, WHERE AS ALL THE (COFFEESHOP) AND ALL THE (TOURIST) WHO WANT TO SMOKE CAN BE IN ONE PLACE,AWAY FROM TOWNS,SCHOOLS AND LOCAL RESIDENTS.IM SURE IF THEY CAN DO THIS THE (GOVERNMENT)/(LAW) WILL HAVE OVER-ALL CONTROL OF THE SITUATION..THE GOVERNMENT WILL BE HAPPY,COS THE COUNTRY WOULD STILL BE MAKEING MONEY,THE COFFEESHOP WILL BE HAPPY,COS THE TOURIST WOULD STILL BE COMEING INTO THE COUNTRY,THE LAW WOULD BE HAPPY,THEY WILL BE FOCUSED IN ONE MAIN AREA..THAT WAY EVERYBODYS HAPPY. IT’S FOR THE BEST OF INTEREST OF THE DUTCH GOVERNMENT TODO SO.

May 21, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(61) Rp says:

I am from Toronto where weed is really popular. I last visited Amsterdam with a group of friends in June 2008 and indulged in smoking pot and visiting many coffee shops. Of course my friends and I did other things in the City and spent lots of money on other things than just weed. If tourists are no longer openly allowed to purchase and consume pot I will NEVER go back to Holland. My friends also say the same. Government and citizens will realize soon just how much weed tax money and tourist spending contribute to the economy. I wonder if the citizens would be receptive to an increase in their taxes or tough austerity measures to off set the losses that would affect the economy?

June 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm
(62) Fritz says:

I love visiting Amsterdam as I have found it a very “open” and enjoyable vacation/relaxation location. i will miss the Gray Area and other find coffe houses.

June 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(63) Matthew says:

Me and 2 of my friends just booked plane tickets to Amsterdam from July 27th to July 1st and now I stumbled upon this page. Can tourists still buy weed from coffee shops?

June 17, 2012 at 11:27 am
(64) Human Being 2012 says:

As A 36 year old Human Being living in the United States right now I have a lot of respect for the Dutch but honestly As an American there is no reason to go to Europe anymore. Thanks guys for saving me money now.

July 25, 2012 at 11:10 am
(65) aish says:

can you still smoke weed though up until January 2013 ??

August 27, 2012 at 11:59 am
(66) Peter says:

Well you know I’m going to the cannabis cup this year, and the coffee shops are just going to be places where my buddy and I are able to go just hang out and meet some good people. We aren’t going strictly to smoke weed 24/7. If tourists are being responsible enough to handle the herb Then the weed/tourist issue shouldn’t be a problem for Amsterdam.

October 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm
(67) tom says:

I was just in Amsterdam for 9 days and spent $3500.00 not including the flight. I can say for a fact that if they end cannabis tourism it will be my last trip. Granted, it’s a great place for many reasons, but there are many great places, and if I’m reduced to buying my vacation bud off the street, there’s not overriding motivation to go. Flights are cheaper to any number of destinations and the dollar stronger. I can’t imagine them destroying tourism to that degree though. I don’t think it will ever happen in Amsterdam itself.

October 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm
(68) Americano says:

well I just moved to Belgium, and I plan to go over to Amsterdam on the 10th this week. since I can’t find a single person that has totem some cannabis lately, I guess I will have to find out if I can in a few days. I reall hope they do, I am from California and everyone would talk about how cool Amsterdam would be, then this; it seems Netherlands and California are moving in opposite directions.. and to top it off a guy said that the weed isn’t even that great, and it was better in Cali.
although I have had some good stuff back home, I always assumed it would be better in a city that is tolerant. the world is going to shit!! we need a place to live our own lives, not the lives our governments want us to live.

October 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm
(69) playamade29 says:

Wtf i was planning a trip with my wife for nov 2013 will

October 25, 2012 at 8:10 am
(70) James says:

Will someone just answer the damn question and tell me, can we still smoke weed? I dont want all the info, I dont want to know whats gone one on. I want a simple yes or no? Please

November 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(71) Bas says:

@James: Yes, you can.

November 15, 2012 at 11:09 am
(72) Simon says:

I think that without the money coming in for Cannabis the Netherlands will have a major surge in hard drugs and violent crimes to make up for lost revenue from the collapsed marijuana trade.

Also, Amsterdam will not draw tourism without the coffeeshops. I know I won’t be back as long as the new rules apply. If tourism falls, Amsterdam will lose all profitable businesses. The locals are not the types to spend money frivolously. Goodbye highend rent and tax dollars, goodbye local jobs, hello GHETTO!

November 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm
(73) Bas says:

The government policy changed immediately at November 19, 2012.

The required weed pass has been abolished and the coffee shop policy is now something municipalities can decide about. The only requirement for buying weed is that you can show a Dutch identity card and a paper named “Uittreksel Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie”, which shows that you are living in the Netherlands.

Municipalities can now decide when this requirement will be in force for the coffee shops in their town of city and no deadline has been given when the policy should be in effect. This means that Amsterdam can postpone this indefinitely if they want to.

January 14, 2013 at 11:46 pm
(74) antiquer says:

Amsterdam is a beautiful and gezellig place to visit. It is one of the few places on earth where I feel truly equal with all men and women. I do hope that nothing changes,