One of my personal favorite months to be in Amsterdam, October is one of the "bookends" of the peak tourist season (April - September), and often shares September's usually-favorable weather; some years even see full weeks of sunny days with minimal rain (but others are not so kind). At the same time, the tortuous queues have disappeared from popular attractions, and airlines and hotels try to reel in off-peak business with discounted rates. However, the real possibility that it will rain for days on end means that visitors should be prepared to spend some of their trip under an umbrella or hood; if this doesn't deter you, then you will most certainly enjoy Amsterdam in October.
- Peak travel season is over, so airlines and hotels return to their off-peak rates, and fewer crowds will fill popular attractions
- The mild October weather is not too warm, (usually) not too cold, and can be positively lovely (and dry!) in some years; the fall colors are an attraction in themselves
- One month into the cultural season, performance venues have a wide variety of theater, music and opera, dance productions and more on offer
- Some Octobers have more precipitation than others, and there's a chance that your visit will coincide with a bout of dreary, rainy weather. But with an umbrella and/or rain coat, you can still see the city unhindered
- By October, most cafes have packed up their patio furniture, and the outdoor festival season has ended -- but excellent indoor events arrive in their stead (see below)
October Temperatures & Rain
- Average high: 58°F (14°C)
- Average low: 44°F (6.6°C)
- Average precipitation: 2.9 in (74 mm)
Sunrise & Sunset in October:
- October 1 - 7:42 a.m. / 7:19 p.m.
- October 31 - 7:35 a.m. / 5:14 p.m.
- Note: Central European Summer Time ends on the last Sunday of October, when clocks are set back one hour.
Yearly Festivals & Events in October
See event web sites for this year's visitor information.
- Amsterdam Dance Event
The Amsterdam Dance Event is hands-down the most anticipated event on the club scene's calendar: part conference, part electronic music festival, it draws both industry professionals and fans into its orbit, with both insider events and performances by internationally acclaimed artists.
- Awakenings Weekender
This weekend mini-edition of the popular Awakenings techno festival (held annually in June) allows October visitors the opportunity to dance to some of the most in-demand acts in techno.
Even in trick-or-treat-less Amsterdam, no one needs to miss out on Halloween: check out this selection of costume parties and other events for bastions of the Halloween spirit in Amsterdam.