Well ahead of the peak season crowds, March travellers have the run of Amsterdam's top attractions -- as well as the spectacular Keukenhof bulb flower park, which opens in late March. While the weather can be hit-or-miss, it's a clear departure from the Dutch winter months, and the fickle bouts of sun become more constant towards the end of the month.
- Airfare and accommodations are still at their off-peak rates
- Few crowds to interfere with a queue-free experience of Amsterdam
- The winter chill is replaced with milder weather, and most years attest to a fair share of sunny days later in the month
- March is still susceptible to showers, and it can become quite cold especially after dusk, so keep an umbrella and jacket close at hand
- While some bulb flowers will be in bloom, the tulips sometimes hold off until April
- Average high: 48°F (8.8°C)
- Average low: 34°F (1.1°C)
- Average precipitation: 2.6 in (66 mm)
Yearly Festivals & Events in March
See event web sites for this year's visitor information.
- 5 Days Off
No ordinary electronic music festival, 5 Days Off joins forces with NIMk, the Dutch Institute of Media Art, for an interdisciplinary spin on the electronic arts scene, in addition to the wide variety of musicial talent it draws.
- DiningCity Restaurant Week
The semiannual Restaurant Week allows diners to experience lunch or dinner at some of the most exclusive restaurants in the Netherlands for a modest fixed price, with special "restaurant week menus"; some participants even boast Michelin stars.
- Food Film Festival
Over three days of films, workshops and events, the Food Film Festival touches on such topics as food ethics and politics, production and environmental sustainability, and the experiences of food professionals.
- Gouden Kabouter Awards
Started as a mere joke in 1995, the Gouden Kabouter ("Golden Gnome") Awards -- the "Incredibly Unofficial Oscars for the Club Scene" -- have taken off to become an annual event and spawn a Golden Gnome international edition, held in October to coincide with the Amsterdam Dance Event.
- HISWA Amsterdam Boat Show
The yearly boat convention features state-of-the-art vessels, nautical accessories, and a week's worth of maritime-themed activities for watersports fans amid its themed pavilions.
Keukenhof, the Netherlands' world-famous bulb flower park, re-opens for the season. Travel there without a hitch with our Keukenhof transport tips, or see pictures from previous seasons.
- Keys & Stix Festival
"Keys & Stix" are all the tools one needs to create a beat and a melody: that's the motto of this two-day festival, which celebrates the versatility of the piano and drum duet at Amsterdam jazz institution the Bimhuis.
- Roze Film Dagen (Pink Film Days)
The "Pink Film Days" assemble feature films, documentaries and film shorts that testify to the diversity of the LGBTQ experience, with submissions from 32 countries worldwide.
- Silent Procession
The route of the the Silent Procession takes in the landmarks associated with the 1345 "Miracle of the Host", when an ill man vomited the sacramental bread (or "host"), which then refused to burn when thrown into the fire.