The Bottom Line
- Extensive menu for breakfast and lunch.
- Fresh ingredients, organic meats.
- Very reasonably priced.
- Located in charming "Nine Streets" area of Central Canal Belt.
- Vegetarian friendly.
- Limited outdoor seating (one or two small sidewalk tables).
- Indoor seating fills quickly (don't go with a large group or if in a hurry).
- Address: Berenstraat 19, Amsterdam
Phone: +31 (0)20 330 60 06
- Kitchen open:
Tue. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sat. 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sun. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Location: Negen Straatjes ("Nine Little Streets"), one of Amsterdam's best shopping areas.
- Tram lines: 13, 14 or 17 to the Westermarkt stop (walk south on Keizersgracht, turn right on Berenstraat).
- Attire: Casual.
- Scene: Laid-back mix of local regulars and visitors who pop in after shopping in the area. Family-friendly.
- Décor: Colorful, casual and clean. Fresh flowers always adorn the small bar area.
- Especially tasty: Club sandwich, fresh-squeezed juices, homemade desserts.
- Good to know: Sit down by the kitchen to avoid smoking area.
- Payment: Accepts major credit cards.
Guide Review - Café Nielsen - Amsterdam Restaurant Review
Family-owned, Nielsen is known for its fresh and organic ingredients and unique combinations of sandwich fillings, like the grilled vegetable sandwich of apple, braised fennel, zucchini, eggplant, alfalfa sprouts and mango chutney on dark brown bread. Or try the one that's earned "Best Club Sandwich in Amsterdam" -- it's stuffed with turkey breast, bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and mustard. Yum!
If you're feeling healthy, opt for one of the salads and a fresh-squeezed juice. If you're not, splurge on the homemade apple tart -- you'll see this tower of fruit and buttery goodness at the edge of the bar when you walk in.
Breakfast is popular here, as they offer bagels, free-range egg breakfasts and fluffy omelets. Morning or afternoon, you're guaranteed a good meal for the money.